The Washington Street Underpass project consists of widening and reconstructing Washington Street from Haryan Way to Lake Street. Washington Street will be lowered and a new railroad bridge will be constructed over Washington Street eliminating the current at-grade crossing.
- New railroad bridge over Washington Street
- ½ mile of new 4-lane concrete pavement
- Temporary roadway runaround
- Temporary railroad runaround (shoofly)
- Temporary boarding platform at Metra station
- Modified traffic signals at Lake Street
- Landscaped median
- New retaining wall on the south side of Washington Street with architectural reveals
- New pump station to drain the new underpass roadway
- Erosion and sediment control
- New detention basin
- New pedestrian accommodations
- Reduce congestion and travel times
- Improved vehicular and pedestrian safety
The Washington Street Underpass project is located along Washington Street from Haryan Way to Lake Street. The grade separation is at the Canadian National (CN)/Metra railroad crossing. The project is located in the Village of Grayslake, Lake County, Illinois.